Studying in Canada is, for millions of people, a unique and unforgettable experience to grow professionally and personally. A great alternative to turning an academic dream into a reality is through financial aid for study programs. In this note we will tell you which are the best scholarships to study in Canada and what things you should take into account if you want to access any of them.
Immersing yourself in Canadian culture and habits can be motivating to change your life forever. Not only academically and professionally, but because of what it means to be in contact with the personality of a friendly people for immigrants, something very different from their beliefs and human talent.
Many people who make the decision to fly to Canada have the random fortune of being associated with institutions and companies, enjoying the possibility of permanent establishment in the country, which bases its guarantees on education, security and other aspects. For its part, Canadian education provides the student with all the necessary tools through comprehensive training, which allows each student to discover who he is and what he can become, having a concise idea of what he hopes for his life.
So without further ado, in this post we will show you all the essential information to know what each of these scholarships are about. Let’s go there!
What are the best scholarships to study in Canada?
1. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
It is a Scholarship Program offered by the University of Toronto. It is considered one of the most magnificent that exist thanks to the fact that it has a coverage duration of 4 years. It is focused on undergraduates.
With it, the beneficiary can enjoy maintenance, school supplies, tuition and medical insurance. In addition, the student’s school must have an agreement with the scholarship program and thus the student can request it. As long as you are an entrepreneur, committed to study and your desire to learn.
- International student (i.e. non-Canadian and requiring a study permit).
- You must be creative, original, highly committed to your school and community.
- Excellent performance in creative academic activities and with great enthusiasm for intellectual exploration and learning.
- Possess natural leadership skills, which can be demonstrated in their senior year of high school or graduate no earlier than June with a view to starting college the following year. One thing to keep in mind is that students who are already in post-secondary studies cannot be considered; Students who begin their studies in January prior to the start of U of T studies at another postsecondary institution cannot be considered..
- Students selected by their high school through the online nomination process.
Award Type: Admission
Action: Nomination Required
Availability: International students
Level of study: undergraduate
Value/Amount: These scholarships will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full support for residency for four years. The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto.
Read More: Working Holiday Visa: the visa to travel and work 2023
How to apply?
- Receive a nomination from your school. (High schools that have not yet been contacted/verified are requested to submit an application to participate in our program, which can be accessed from the main Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships webpage.
- Apply to study at the University of Toronto to begin your studies in September and complete your application for admission by the appropriate deadlines.
- Once we have received a nomination and you have applied to the university, you can complete the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship application online.
2 . Carleton University Entrance Scholarships for International Students
The scholarship is aimed at international students with a basic level of English proficiency.
In this case, it is about undergraduate scholarships to study at Carleton University. This university offers you the payment of tuition for a period of 4 years. For each year, you are assigned a percentage to be admitted and continue with your studies.
Coverage costs vary according to the level of study and grades sent by the student. A student can receive $1,000 coverage for all four years.
3 . Humber College International Entrance Scholarships
These are scholarships that are aimed at international students, with excellent academic results. Their focus has more to do with paying tuition and they are renewable.
The highest amount of funding offered by this scholarship system is $7,000 dollars. That is, the equivalent of what the value of a semester can mean. The extension can be requested, but you must meet a fairly high average, that is, with a minimum of 80%.
The institution also offers scholarships to study English, but the amount of the subsidy will depend on your academic performance.
The dates of renewal of studies occur in the month of May, September and January. As for the necessary documentation to attach, they are your academic notes and letters of recommendation, in addition to your ID, among others. Selected students must pay tuition in full and the scholarship amount will be credited to the student’s account after the tenth day of classes. The scholarship will be disbursed in two installments during the first two semesters.
- To apply for the scholarship, you must submit the following documents:
- Humber Student ID Number
- Confirmed acceptance letter from Humber College for full-time program starting May 2021/September 2021
- Statement of Personal Interest – Must include your GPA
- 2 reference letters
Keep in mind:
- Students must be enrolled in a full-time academic program at Humber for the first time to be eligible for scholarships. Additionally, students must have received an official offer of admission/acceptance letter.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Scholarships are non-refundable and cannot be deferred.
- Only selected applicants will be notified. All scholarship decisions are final.
4. University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards
These scholarships are divided into 3 categories and are exclusive to students who are pursuing a master’s degree or doctorate at said university, as well as for students who have a valid Canadian study permit.
The three categories that represent the scholarship are IMSA, IDSA and IDSA4. The first option is responsible for paying half the differential rate of what the training program costs. Meanwhile, the IDSA and IDSA4, for a total differential cost according to the program.
The study program competes with any type offered at the university. In other words, just as there are bachelor’s degrees and engineering, you can also access programs in music, economics, law, among others. This academic benefit program is better known as an award for excellence. Indeed, as fundamental requirements it is more than important that you be an excellent student.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
International graduate students, with a valid Canadian study permit and enrolled full-time in an MA, MASC, MES, MFA, MMATH (except course programmes) or MSC (except course programmes) degree programme, will receive an IMSA for 2 years (until term 6.0).
Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program and not have external awards, a tuition award (for example, PSI or Lazaridis tuition awards) or sponsorships or be self-funded in excess of the value of the minimum doctoral funding .
5 . University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
Generally, international student scholarships are characterized by requiring a high score in qualifications, in addition to their identity document and ISIC card.
It is a rule that applies to all those who aspire to international scholarships in Canada, so the requirements to apply for these scholarships are the same. These are scholarships geared towards undergraduate students as well as for Phd studies.
The value of the scholarship usually covers an average amount of about $10,000 dollars per year. The scholarships are extendable and their coverage is provided for each year of study. In fact, there are two types of scholarships, the entrance scholarship and the so-called outstanding international student.
6. University of Calgary Graduate Awards
The University of Calgary supports students with coverage for both high school seniors, as well as postgraduate and doctoral degrees. Good grades and having the ISIC card are taken into account.
Some awards are given simply for being a good student. For example, you can receive approximately $700 dollars for your academic performance. But when it comes to tuition coverage, you can find payments of $7,500 dollars per semester.
These payments are extendable throughout the university education. In the case of doctoral and master’s programs, the application must be made before the end of the undergraduate training program.
- The scholarship offers approximately $5,000.
- The scholarship does not cover travel expenses, maintenance, medical insurance or study materials.
- Applicants must be international students entering the first year in any undergraduate degree in the upcoming fall term.
- To enroll in the program, applicants must be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree from the university. After that, you need to fill in the application form.
- Applicants must have transcripts from all schools previously attended and a copy of the national identification card, among other documents.
- Candidates must have a high school degree.